Thursday, April 15, 2010

Neuroses

I'm not quite sure when it started, but at some point I became an overly anxious person.  Mind you, it isn't an all-the-time occurrence, but at the slightest whiff of bad news my brain starts working in double time.  If someone says "I need to talk to you" in a tone that is anything less than cheery all the possible things I could have done wrong start whirring in my mind.  It's a constant track of "Beware. Be prepared." 

That being said, I rarely am outwardly distressed and often am well-served by this tendency.  It allows me to work through the many possible angles and outcomes of a situation so often, the end result rarely surprises me.  This in turn causes others to perceive me as being cool as a cucumber in scenarios that would otherwise have someone running around as though the sky is falling.

It's a trade off, you see.  A compromise between internal anxiety attacks, sometimes of extreme proportions, and the outward ability to be a pillar of support and strength.  I wish there was a way to be the latter without mental freak-outs, but it seems that I am resigned to being slightly neurotic for the rest of my adult life.

Mind you, this was all sparked by a phone call from my parents house at 9:30 this morning... the only person who would call is my Mom, but she knows I'm at work.  So why? I won't know until my next break at work when I can turn that blinking notification light off and listen to my voicemail.




In other news, my future sister-in-law did have her baby yesterday evening. A beautiful baby girl who is still yet to be named.

No comments:

Post a Comment